Saturday, November 27, 2010

Habits & Traditions


Habits & Traditions
As I finish the holiday weekend, I started thinking about how alike habits and traditions are.  I watched my daughter in her twenties truly appreciated the traditions of family, playing games, and cooking/eating our favorite foods on Thanksgiving.  I also talked to my other daughter (who spent the holidays with some friends and could not be with us this year) as she voiced her regret at missing the festivities.   There is often comfort in tradition as there is in our habits… both are behaviors that seem to happened naturally and are part of who we are.  Both can be changed, but the process of change often feels foreign and uncomfortable even if it is positive… much like attending some other family's holiday with traditions that may be wonderful but are different than our own.

No comments: