Sunday, October 3, 2010

First we make our habits ...

"First we make our habits, 
then our habits make us." 
-Charles C. Noble

This quote makes me think about how really hard it is to change established bad habits. I don't think this means that we can't change - I have known a few people who truly made lasting and impressive changesHowever, from my experience it is much more common to see people who need/want to make a change but have a difficult time making changes that last.

Sometimes seemingly small bad habits can have huge effects on people's lives.  I have some "little" bad habits that I know I need to change, I want to change, they seem easy to change and I periodically make an effort to change...but I still find myself slipping into these old habits whenever I am not diligent. I think the fact that they seem like fairly "minor" bad habits makes it easier to excuse my own behavior, but I beleive these "little"  habits add up and are keeping me from reaching some of my goals. 

This issue is really the reason I decided to blog. I hope the attention needed will keep me focused on creating habits that make my life better... not worse.

No comments: